Cajun Shrimp and Grits
This weekend I had a taste for cajun food, so I decided on Cajun Shrimp and Grits. This recipe combines a few things that I love: seafood, spiciness and me being a southern girl I absolutely love grits. Especially if they are thick and creamy. I’m a big fan of recipes that are simple but fulfilling, and this one definitely is.
This recipe is all about flavor. I decided to use Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning for this meal. I also used my favorite spicy smoked sausage by Uncle John’s Pride. This sausage is the absolute best! Unfortunately I don’t think its sold nationwide so you’ll have to take my word for it.
Hillshire Farms makes a Hot Smoked sausage, so you may want to try that.
This recipe calls for fresh shrimp, but if you’re unable to get any, you can substitute frozen shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup spicy smoked sausage, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 36 medium shrimp, peeled (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2¼ cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Parsley (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté 2 minutes or until edges are golden. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add shrimp to pan, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, and cook 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove from heat; add butter, stirring to melt. Cover and keep warm.
- Bring milk, salt, and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Gradually add grits, and cook until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove grits from heat; add cheese, stirring with a whisk until cheese melts.
- Spoon grits evenly onto 6 plates. Top evenly with shrimp, sausage mixture, and parsley.
This meal really hit the spot. Serve it with a side of French bread, and you’re good to go!
I recently joined Instagram, and I invite you to follow me @PinchMeTwice where I’m posting all types of yumminess. Thanks for stopping by 🙂