The Super Bowl is this weekend, and if you’re looking for a low-fuss appetizer to add to your menu, then try these Wonton Mozzarella Cheese Sticks. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a shot. It’s fairly easy to make and will definitely impress your guests!
This was my first time purchasing Wonton wrappers. You can find them in the produce section of most grocery stores.
Cut your cheese block in half, and then slice in half again. Next you want to cut those halves into 5 equal parts. Leaving you with 20 sticks of cheese. (NOTE: I used part-skim mozzarella. A few people on my IG thought that the cheese was butter.)
Wrapping the cheese is easier than you think. You’re going to brush the wrappers with egg, using it as a glue to hold the wrapper together.
Your next step is deep frying. These babies cook VERY quickly. You must watch them — seriously don’t even blink because they will burn up! Mine took about 30 seconds in the oil to brown.
After you have drained them, sprinkle on some salt (to taste), Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Serve hot for cheesy perfection. If necessary pop ’em in the microwave for 10-12 seconds.
Marinara sauce and Mozarella sticks go hand in hand, so you’re gonna want to whip some up beforehand. Keep in mind this recipe yields A LOT of sauce. So if you find yourself having a lot left over just freeze the rest. This sauce can be used on home made pizza as well.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did. They didn’t last very long in my house. Follow me on Instagram for more deliciousness.
- For Sauce:
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Olive oil
- For Cheese Sticks:
- 8 oz block of Mozzarella cheese
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg (mix with 1 tablespoon of water)
- Vegetable oil
- Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, basil and salt.
- Add sugar in 1 tbsp increments to taste
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, covered.
- Set aside.
- Cut cheese block in half.
- Stand cheese block on edge and slice in half again.
- Cut cheese halves into 5 equal sections. Leaving you with 20 cheese sticks.
- Brush each wonton wrapper with the egg.
- Place cheese in the center, fold edges over, and roll.
- Heat oil to 375 and fry for 30 seconds to 2 min. Flip half-way through, until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and salt (optional).
- Serve with marinara sauce.