Hey guys! So I completely forgot to mention in my last post, but this is my 4th month of food blogging. Towards the end of last year I made it a goal to get this blog up and running and to write new posts on a consistent basis. I initially planned to only post about twice a month, but I have exceeded my goals.
One day I’ll take the time to tell you guys about my past ventures in blogging. Some of the blogs that I had were very successful, and others not so much. What I’ve learned over the years is that the biggest key to blogging is consistency. And to do that, I think you have to be passionate about the things that you post. When you’re passionate about what you are blogging, it feels less like work — and blogging is definitely WORK.
So with that said, today I’m sharing with you this recipe for Coconut Chicken Strips with Pineapple Plum Sauce. My inspiration is from one of my favorite restaurants Joe’s Crab Shack. Years ago I lived about a block away from Joe’s and me and my roommates would go out to eat there often.
I always ordered their Coconut Shrimp, which came with this banging Pineapple Plum sauce. I found a copycat recipe for the sauce, so I just had to make it. I also decided to make chicken strips instead of shrimp. Best decision ever!
To make this recipe you’ll need 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You’re going to cut the chicken into strips and lightly season with salt.
Next is the breading assembly line. First you dip the chicken into a mixture of flour and garlic powder. Then dip the strips into an egg mixture. And lastly you dip them into a mixture of Panko bread crumbs and coconut flakes. Make sure to press the coconut and Panko into the chicken.
Deep fry these babies, and then drain them on paper towels.
The sweet and tangy Pineapple Plum sauce really sets everything off. Over low heat you’re going to combine crushed pineapples, sweet & sour sauce, red plum jam, and sugar. Stir those ingredients together until they begin to thicken. All the ingredients for the sauce can be found at Walmart.
This recipe is on the easier side. So give it a shot.
- - Coconut Chicken Strips -
- 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1½ cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1½ cup of sweetened coconut flakes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- - Pineapple Plum Sauce -
- 1 can of crushed pineapples with juice (8 oz)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup of Red Plum jam (I used Smuckers brand)
- ½ cup of sweet and sour sauce (I used La Choy brand)
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and lightly season with salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour and garlic powder together.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a third bowl, mix panko bread crumbs and coconut flakes together.
- Dip the chicken into the flour, then the egg, and last the panko/coconut mixture.
- Press the coconut into the chicken strips, and set them aside.
- Heat oil to 350F in a fryer.
- Fry strips in batches until both sides of the chicken are golden. Do not overcrowd pan.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To make sauce: in a saucepan add pineapples with juice, sugar, plum jam, and sweet & sour sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Allow to simmer on low to medium low, stirring frequently until mixture begins to thicken for about 15 minutes.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I did. Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest.