My dear great-aunt is diabetic, and recently she asked me to make her a pound cake. She wanted me to use Stevia in the cake, and at first I was a bit nervous since I’ve never made a dessert without real sugar before. Nevertheless I am always up to a good challenge. After doing a bit of research online I headed to the store to get the ingredients I needed.
The first thing I purchased was a container of Stevia powder. Stevia is an artificial sweetener that has zero calories and very little carbs. It is made from the Stevia plant which is native to South America. Stevia is a widely used sweetener and is safe for diabetics.
The next thing I bought was unsweetened applesauce. When you are baking with Stevia instead of real sugar, you end up losing volume in your cake. Unsweetened applesauce puts that volume back into your cake and will prevent it from being flat and lifeless. It also does not effect the taste of your cake.
The recipe I’m sharing with you today is pretty straightforward. But there are a few things you need to know to make the most out of it.
The first thing you need to know is that every Stevia product is not created equal. When you buy your Stevia make sure to read the side of the package to find out what the conversion is to two cups of sugar. For instance with the product that I used it took 12 tablespoons to equal out to 2 cups of sugar. Your product may be different.
The next thing that I have to stress is that you carefully measure out or weigh your flour. This tip is important with anything you bake from scratch. I have had many mishaps from using too much flour.
Now onto the taste. If you are not use to artificial sweeteners then you may not be raving about the taste, however I found that this recipe did not leave a strong aftertaste. This cake was very moist and I was pleasantly pleased with the result.
- Stevia equal to 2 cups of sugar (note: each brand of Stevia is different, check your product for the correct conversion amount)
- 1 cup of butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 5 eggs
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl mix Stevia, butter, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. Mix ingredients well.
- Add flour and baking powder, beat, then add milk.
- Continue to mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into two greased 8 by 4 inch loaf pans, or one 10 inch tube pan
- Bake for 65-75 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting.
If you decide to give this recipe a try I would love to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Update: My aunt really enjoyed this pound cake. I tried to sneak and take a pic of her eating it lol.