Heyyyy, so I’m back! I decided to take a bit of a break due to some technical difficulties. Basically, I needed to get a new camera AND I also needed a new laptop. It was way past time for me to upgrade my computer. Well I recently got both, so now I’m good to go! I have a lot to learn as far as the camera goes, but I will be updating more often.
For the past few months I’ve been contemplating whether or not to start a YouTube channel, so that I can show you how I make some of these recipes. I know that some people are more visual, so I will be uploading my first video in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I wanted to share with you the details of my newest experimentation.
One of my favorite pizza spots is Mellow Mushroom, and they make this Maui Wowie pizza that I am in love with. It’s a pesto based pizza that has jerk chicken, applewood smoked bacon, ham, pineapples, banana peppers, and mozzarella. One of the best things about the pizza at Mellow Mushroom is the crust. So I was excited when I found a copycat recipe for their pizza dough.
The difference between regular pizza dough and Mellow Mushroom’s is that molasses is used instead of sugar.
Once I got the dough all mixed, I pressed it out onto my pizza pan. I then used a fork to dock the dough which keeps air bubbles from forming.
For my toppings I used jerk chicken breast that I made the night before. I will link you to that recipe at the end of this post.
I also used Pesto sauce, fresh mozzarella, Applewood smoked bacon, ham, banana peppers, and pineapples.
This pizza was a little time consuming, but it was totally worth it. The flavors blend together perfectly.
Here is the jerk chicken recipe I used:
Details on the pizza dough are below:
- ~For the dough~
- ¾ cup of warm water (make sure it's not too hot or it will kill the yeast)
- 2 tablespoons of molasses
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus more for greasing
- Pesto sauce
- Jerk chicken breast (cut into small strips)
- Applewood smoked bacon, cooked (about 4 strips)
- Thinly sliced ham
- Pineapples, diced
- Banana peppers
- 8 ounces of Mozzarella cheese
- In small bowl stir together warm water and molasses.
- Stir in yeast and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes or until foamy on top.
- In a separate mixing bowl add in flour, salt, and olive oil.
- Pour in yeast mixture.
- If using a stand mixer, run on low with dough hook for about 5 minutes. Or mix by hand to form dough. Knead until dough is smooth and not sticky. Form it into a ball.
- Grease a bowl with olive oil and coat your ball of dough ball with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a towel.
- Allow dough to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, punch it down and spread dough out onto a greased pizza pan.
- Poke holes into dough with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
- Assemble pizza by spreading sauce, toppings and cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 450F oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Immediately after removing, butter pizza crust and sprinkle parmesan on top.
Watch me make it: