So right now I’m in the middle of moving, but since Valentine’s Day is upon us I wanted to share with you this delicious and easy recipe for Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes.
If you’ve ever had Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars, then you know exactly how the cookie crumb coating on top of these cupcakes tastes (tongue twister lol).
You start off making the strawberry cake batter using a doctored recipe of white cake mix and strawberry gelatin.
Then you make a decadent strawberry cream cheese frosting. And you finish off these cupcakes with a strawberry flavored cookie crumb. You can watch me make these cupcakes below:
- 1 box of white cake mix (no pudding in mix)
- 2 boxes (3 oz each) of strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of milk
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of mashed strawberries
- 8 oz of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 lb of powdered sugar
- Red food coloring
- 12-24 golden oreos (creme removed and crushed)
- 1.5 tablespoons of melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Mix cake mix, 1 box of gelatin, vegetable oil, milk, ½ cup of mashed strawberries and eggs in a large bowl.
- Pour cake batter into cupcake lined pan.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and allow them to cool completely.
- To make frosting: In another bowl beat butter, cream cheese and ⅓ cup of mashed strawberries.
- Add in powdered sugar and milk gradually.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring to get desired shade of pink.
- Beat on high until frosting is smooth.
- To make crumb topping: Mix crushed oreos with half a box of strawberry gelatin and 1.5 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Frost cupcakes with spatula and dip cupcakes into crumb mixture to coat.